Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Henry & Glenn Forever


Henry & Glenn Forever
Cantankerous Titles
pob 14332
Portland, OR
97293
$6

I’ve seen this thing floating around for a few months now on various websites and in magazines, bookstands, etc. If you are either a Black Flag, Misfits, Samhain, or Danzig fan you can't help but notice it, the cover art draws you in like a guilty moth to the forbidden backyard lightbulb. Recently on a trip to Seattle I had a chance to thumb through a copy at Left Bank Books (Great book store) and found myself giggling, and then looking around to see if anyone was looking at me. This is a very bizarre comic about a love affair between Henry Rollins, Glenn Danzig, and their satanic next door neighbors Daryl Hall and John Oats. Seriously, that’s what it’s about. It’s put together by the Igloo Tornado artist collective in Portland who seem like fun loving, beer drinking folk. I suppose that if the people portrayed in these comics had very, very progressive senses of humor they might think this to be the ultimate tribute to them. I suspect that they don’t and assume that they are pretty pissed off about it all. Did I like the zine? yea, it's quite funny and weird as hell. If someone wrote a comic called Glenn and Randy about Danzig and me, I would laugh my ass off, but then of course I never wrote the song, "Mommy can I go out and kill tonight?".